Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Breastfeeding

While I was pregnant last year I took excellent care of myself. I ate healthy foods, drank plenty of water and got exercise. All that diligence paid off. I was in the hospital nearly two weeks due to complications but when we finally came home I weighed what I weighed when I got pregnant. I was so proud of myself. I was also looking forward to losing even more weight while breastfeeding. As I had read over and over, breastfeeding mothers expend an extra 500 calories a day. I was sure to shed the pounds! Unfortunately that didn't happen. Since I have become a breastfeeding stay-at-home mom I have gained 20lbs. I thought, "There must be something wrong with me!" I even went to my doctor and had my thyroid checked, but it was fine. I can't say that this is a myth. It's is very true for many mothers. I've heard it in my LLL meetings, on TV and read on the Internet. It seems everywhere I look a new mother is exclaiming "I can eat whatever I want! I don't gain an ounce while I'm breastfeeding!" I must admit, I sorta want to hurt those women.

No comments:

Post a Comment